Sunday, September 13, 2015

Why Do We Photograph?

Photographs preserve moments and memories in a visual way.  For example, I have these photos of my senior prom:


They also allow people to capture an aspect of something others might not normally notice and emphasize it.  For example, an ordinary object can be the main focus of a photograph, even though it wouldn't be most people's focus in everyday life.  The following is a picture of the quilt my mom made for me while she was pregnant with me:

Normally, it would blend into the image of the rest of the room it was in, but in a photograph I can make it the main focus and hopefully encourage others to notice its beauty the way I do.

Photos are also a very exciting artistic medium, which offer just as much opportunity for creativity as other mediums because of the range of angles, subjects, and editing tools available.  For example,I used Photoshop to alter a self-portrait into what looks like a horror movie cover:

The beauty of photography is that it fulfills a wide range of purposes.  It can be an easy click and a resulting memento of a great time, or it can be a carefully constructed art form that resembles something imagined rather than real.

No comments:

Post a Comment