Thursday, December 17, 2015

Artist Lecture: Caleb Cole

     I went to see Caleb Cole's lecture in the Paul Creative Arts Center, and I really enjoyed the originality of his concepts.  The execution of his concepts were flawless as well, but it was the concepts which really drew me in because I definitely am more into a conceptual approach to art as opposed to a capture-the-moment style.  I think both approaches are equally valid but I related to Caleb Cole's style and liked how he took it in ways I haven't before.
     One concept he used was the idea of trying on other people's clothes and photographing himself in an environment that seemed natural to the clothing.  I care a lot about empathy both as someone interested in human rights and as someone who writes fiction and needs to get in my characters' heads, so I loved this concept because it seemed like an exercise in empathy.  The artist was literally putting himself in someone else's shoes.
     I admire the courage it must have taken to ask others to use their clothes and/or spaces for his project.  I find the idea of talking to strangers and especially asking them to help do something unconventional really nerve-wracking, so that impressed me.
     I also really liked Caleb Cole's exploration of failure.  I think capturing a moment of failure could be done in a way that actually empowers an individual who isn't where they want to be in life.  I think making such a negative feeling the main subject of art might reassure people who are feeling unsuccessful that they are worthy of art and are beautiful.
     I also really enjoyed the cut-out pictures Caleb Cole showed.  While they weren't the most visually exciting to me personally, I loved the concept behind them.  I love rebels and rock and roll so the fact that he highlighted "rule-breakers" in these photos really drew me in.
     Aesthetically and conceptually, I loved "The Last Page".  The photo has such a great blend of a relatable and intense emotion (the bittersweet sorrow/satisfaction of finishing a great book), as well as vivid colors and contrasts, and a little bit of eeriness thanks to the fake bunny head.
     All in all, I immensely enjoyed this lecture!

No comments:

Post a Comment